Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Review of "Biggest Loser" DVD

Yesterday I tried the "Biggest Loser Boot Camp" DVD (another one checked out from the library). I liked it, but I don't think I would use it enough to justify buying it. It think it'll be a DVD I'll check out from the library occasionally when I feel like doing the workout for a while.

The workout is run by Bob Harper from the Biggest Loser and the people working out with him on the DVD are previous contestants (two of them are past winners). The contestants are all in different kinds of shape so it was nice not seeing a bunch of perfectly fit people doing this workout. Some of the people were struggling so it made me not feel so bad for having a hard time too. =) It's also good because it has people doing modifications throughout the entire workout which is helpful.

This workout requires hand weights, a medicine ball, and a workout band. I don't have a workout band so I did the modifications (using weights instead) and it was fine. I'm not sure about doing the modifications for the medicine ball, but that was used for only about 5 minutes of the workout, so I think someone would be fine doing this DVD without it.

The workout has a 5 minute warm-up, then 20 minutes of Level 1, 15 minutes of Level 2, 10 minutes of Level 3, and a 5-minute cool down. If you're a beginner you're supposed to just do the warm-up, Level 1, then the cool down. I would say a true beginner could finish that workout. I did not have a problem completing Level 1, compared to doing the first 20 minutes of a Jillian Michaels workout. So I went on to Level 2 which is 15 minutes long. Level 2 was a lot harder, I was definitely struggling with Level 2. Though I was tired I decided to suck it up and do Level 3 since it was only 10 minutes. If you can finish Level 2, go ahead and do the last 10 minutes of Level 3, it wasn't that much harder and didn't kill me like Level 2 did.

One interesting thing, Bob did most of the workout during Level 2, but during Levels 1 and 3 he spent most of the time instructing. Also, you can tell Bob has a lot of experience working with classes, he was very good with giving counts so the people at home can tell when the next change is. Another interesting thing, since these aren't professionals doing the video with him, sometimes they weren't in sync and weren't right on count. It was a little distracting since sometimes I was watching them and then realized I was off-count, but I'm sure if you did this DVD a few times you would figure it out.

My recommendation, if you're a beginner, you should feel comfortable getting this DVD, it will definitely be an asset to your workout. If you're more advanced, I'd recommend a Jillian Michaels DVD for more of a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment