Friday, April 8, 2011

Three New Workouts and a New Favorite

Since the last time I posted a DVD review I have tried three new workout DVDs: "The Trainer's Edge: Integrated Strength Training" with Jeffrey Scott, "Get Ripped! Slim and Lean", and "Get Ripped! To the Core", both with Jari Love. Jeffrey Scott's I did not think was worth doing. It said use lower weights because it was high rep so I was expecting something like Jillian Michaels's "No More Trouble Zones", but I could have easily used 5 and 8-lb weights throughout the entire workout. Granted, if I had done that I may have had a more positive review of it, but I was more interested in trying different workouts than trying his again with heavier weights. Also, with the "Get Ripped!" series, I was expecting to use 2 and 3-lb weights, but the "low intensity" person in the video was using a minimum of 5-lb weights and I found that I could alternate between 5 and 8-lb weights and get a decent strength training workout in.

Common things I have read about the "Get Ripped!" series is that it moves too slow in between sets, people don't like stretching after every move, the music and video production is lame, etc. Yes, all those things are true, but if you're working out and only lifting in a gym, you're very likely going to have breaks in between either setting up for a new exercise or waiting for equipment, and I actually liked the extra stretching after each set. If you're used to Jillian Michaels's constant movement I can see why you might not like this, but I thought it was good just to do something different. Also, the two "Get Ripped!" workouts were very similar, so if anyone was to buy one of these you might just buy one of them and then get the others from a library or OnDemand for a slight variation once in a while. I also have the "Get Ripped 1000" to try out, so I'm going to see if that one is much different from the two I've tried so far. After doing these workouts I think I would like to incorporate a "Get Ripped!" DVD into my routine at least once a week.

On a side note I decided to do a cardio-only workout at the gym yesterday. It was 20 minutes on the bike, 20 minutes on the treadmill, and 20 minutes on the elliptical. Elliptical was definitely my weakest area, so something I need to work on, and I won't do it last next time. But, on the positive side of things, I ran at a faster pace on the treadmill than I had run in the past few months so I was happy about that.

Recipe plan for Sunday, this time out of the "South Beach Diet Super Quick Cookbook": "Lemon-Caper Chicken" with "Roasted Green and Wax Beans with Walnuts". I'll let y'all know how it goes. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment