Thursday, January 13, 2011

Falling off the Wagon

It's been 4 weeks to the day since my last post. Let’s just say since then I fell off the wagon. Big time. For three weeks. So I decided I would give myself a week after New Year’s weekend to start eating right so I wouldn't have as bad a case of sticker shock when I finally got around to weighing.

I knew by how my clothes fit that I gained weight, I figured I gained five lbs, best case scenario maybe only three or four lbs (remember I am short), and worst-case seven or eight lbs. I weighed this morning, and I weighed (drum roll please)... 156 lbs. Yup, exactly the same as the last time I weighed in. I was so shocked that I re-weighed myself several times to make sure that was right and I wasn't just standing on the scale wrong. It was definitely 156 lbs. How is the possible? Most of you have probably heard that muscle weighs more than fat; I just had that reiterated to me this morning. It's always one thing to know something in your head, and another to have it reaffirmed on the scale.

Which is both good and bad. It shows me again that I can't just use my weight as a barometer for how fit/healthy I am, but as I don't have an accurate body fat measuring tool at my disposal, it's the best thing I have (for now).

As of this Sunday I will have exactly 8 weeks until the sprint triathlon I want to do. Still possible to train and complete it, but that doesn't give me any extra time in case life gets in the way. =) I will start training today since I know I'll be out of town two weekends, one for two days and the other for almost 4 days so I need a few extra days to make up for those if I can't work out then.

I also have another change in my diet I want to make. After talking to one of my friends who is a raw vegan, one who is a vegetarian, and another who doesn't eat beef or pork I'm going to start limiting the amount of beef and pork I eat. Beef is my weakness in this area since I love beef and we live in Texas where it's easy to get awesome steaks and burgers. =) I'm not sure how easy it will be to make this change; I still have to discuss it with my family as well since I'm usually the one that cooks. I think I'll start with having beef/pork only once a week with my eventual goal to get myself down to once a month.

That's it for now. Next "official" weigh-in will be next Wednesday. I hope that working out for the first time in almost a month will help me have a good week.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with the less meat thing. I try to have one or two meat-less meals a week, but that is it. I do use chicken a lot though.

    I took 3 weeks off over the break and gained two pounds. Boooooooo. And then I exercised every day so far in January and I have yet to lose any weight. Another boooooo. But whatever, at least I'm moving. I need to do better with my food intake, but one thing at a time.

    ReplyDelete